Thursday, October 07, 2010

THE MUSINGS OF AUTUMN...
Time marches on and we can't stop it...
-
It's a while yet before September 21st gets here, but Fall is Falling all around us. The last few days, I've noticed a chill in the air and I'm back to sleeping in sweat pants (Too much information, probably). It's as if the days are getting shorter at an accelerated pace; not so long ago, Sunset happened at 9pm, and nowadays it's happening at about 7pm. I was looking at some chart that listed Sunset Times, and I seem to recall that in September, the days do seem to get shorter by a more significant margin right around this time of year.
-
I've been reading a lot of books about the Kennedy Family, and how Joseph P. Kennedy totally orchestrated the political careers of sons John F., Robert F. and Teddy. And I stumbled onto this point, as to Why Joseph Kennedy didn't himself aspire to Public Office. It's because he was such a crook! He was involved in the Movie Industry in the late twenties, and he swindled as much money as he could before coming back east to raise a family, where he spent a lot of his time swindling more people. Surely, had Joseph P. tried to run for office, he'd have all his dirty laundry exposed. To put it succinctly, if you compared Joseph P. Kennedy's record to that of Richard Nixon's, Nixon would look like a Boy Scout.
-
Along the way, I've read "The Kennedy Men, 1901-1963" by Laurence Reamer; currently I'm reading "Sins Of The Father" by Ronald Kessler, after which I'll probably read the full story of Joseph P. Kennedy's career in the movies, "The Hollywood Years" by Cari Beauchamp. I think this subject matter is very interesting, because there was so much manipulation going on in the Kennedy Family, as well as between the Kennedys and the rest of the world. It's too strange to imagine; a novelist would have serious trouble making stuff like this up. Plus, reading about the Kennedys' history takes you waaay back in time. Dull stuff this is not. It took me ages to finish the Reamer book, since it runs well over 600 pages. So, if you're an avid reader who can't find anything good on the bookshelves, I imagine you'd be entertained, informed, and even shocked at some of the revelations contained within these tomes. (A 'tome' is a book, right?)
-
Here is something that I've wondered about concerning the field of American Song. So many songs have used the phrase, "I'm Gonna Make You Mine" in various different ways. Well, if you "make" someone do something, it is usually against their will. So how are you gonna Make someone stand you over the course of a relationship? If they don't want you, it ain't gonna happen. And it seems to me, now more than ever, that if you have to "make" someone be your baby, chances are that you'll be a dominator, or a manipulator, which goes totally against the old axiom, 'If you love something, set it free', and if it comes back, then, "Voila". I don't know why, but this thought has been simmering in my brain for a few weeks. Another sentiment expressed in those vapid love ballads is a variant of "Make My Dreams Come True". I don't dream of being Welded to someone for the rest of my life. And if you Chase Your Dreams constantly, you won't ever be able to get anywhere, 'cos Life is about the here and now. I just can't buy into the "Make Your Dreams Come True" thing. I guess I have one of those Sick and Twisted Minds. Guess I gotta stop listening to those Oldies stations, huh?
-
I am a Seattle Mariners fan. Even this dismal season when they lost 101 games hasn't chased me away from Mariners fandom. But the regular season is now over, and that's great, because now comes the Best Baseball...the playoffs. Drama. Talent. Fan Excitement. Competitive-ness. So much rides on these games between the best teams, and I'm thrilled to see it. This is the time of year that I'm a Baseball Fan, not a fan of just one team, although I'd like to see the Phillies advance to the Series, because former Mariner members Raul Ibanez and Jamie Moyer are now on the Philly squad. The Minnesota Twins have their hands full with the dreaded New York Yankees, and I look for the Yankees to get to the series. Sometimes the World Series itself is a total washout, but the playoffs almost always are enthralling. Like the no-hitter thrown recently by Philly pitcher Roy Halladay. Truly, these are the days when the most exciting baseball is played. I saw almost two complete games today, and both were good games. If you can't understand what all the fuss is about, watch a playoff game or two. You'll see what I mean. And if you're a Mariners' fan, compare this year's team to the Playoff teams. You'll be shocked by How Much Better these other teams are.
-
Finally, I'm sure that if you've read your way through the glut of information I've hapardly pasted-together for this post, you have reason to wonder, "hey, where is the picture...is he trying to B.S. his way thru a longwinded diatribe without at least offering me some 'eye candy'?" The masses indeed do demand a picture, so who am I to deny them. So, here's a picture:


-
Judging from this photo, I'd say that Clark Kent would have a choice of changing rooms before flying thru the skies to bring law, order, and generally good vibes to this bustling Metropolis. Bustling? The local Oldies Station airs a daily drive-time show; it begins at 5pm and is usually over by about 5:25pm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home