Monday, May 31, 2010

STEALING FROM MYSELF...
...just when you'd thot I couldn't sink any lower...
-
This blogsite may be--and is--the only blogsite I will ever maintain, mainly because my thoughts are so scattered that if I had a separate blog for each scattered topic I write about, I'd probably have 400 blogsites by now. No, I can't do that...so I just flush everything down the drain and it all ends up here. But I do leave little internet 'droppings' here and there, and one of those drop-sites is maintained by The Seattle Times Newspaper, which maintains an interactive Seattle Mariners Blog. We Mariners' fans, if indeed any are left, can communicate during games on a pitch-by-pitch basis and often do; it's a fun way to watch the game with 30 or 40 other Mariners' fans, if indeed those Baseball-watchers are still fans. We cry on each others' internet shoulders, we exalt when they win and we wallow in misery and disgust when the Mariners lose games they shouldn't be losing...
-
Like Sunday's game between the M's and the L.A. Angels, in which the M's built a substantial lead only to see those same M's decide they didn't wanna win after all. The M's were ahead 7-2, but frittered the lead away, and were blown out of the water when an Angel hit a walk-off home run. In best Dave Niehaus fashion, this game, as well as many others this season, can be summed up thusly..."Keep the rye bread and mustard, grandma, we won't be needin' 'em tonite..." In short, no Grand Salami...(I'll explain that at the end of the post.)
-
On the Seattle Times Mariners blogsite, below each contributor's name is the amount of posts they've made. Some comment with virtually every pitch, leading to thousands of postings. I often leave two or three posts each game day, and there've been times when I've commented several times a game. I've got almost 900 posts by now, stretching back to the end of the 2009. Back to Sunday's game...in one post, I wrote:
-
"How soon will the M's have rendered themselves mathematically elimated from the pennant race? If such a stat is kept, it's as if the M's are on a record-setting pace this year. Ichiro may set some kind of record this year as well...that of reaching the bases and not scoring, 'cos no one could hit him in. It was said in this game that home run-hitter Casey Kotchman hasn't hit a home run all month...and Ken Griffey, Jr. seems to be a ghost these days. In the pen, we can choose between David Aardsma and Ryan Roland-Smith. Kinda like having to choose between Castor Oil and Raw Molasses. I don't know, I just don't know. Still, I'm a fan, and that's being what a fan is...through the bad as well as the good. Good? This year? I don't know, I just don't know."
-
In another section of the Seattle Times Mariners Blog, I posted, "Having missed most of the game, I got home in time to see the last two and a half innings. I've got the world's worst case of hayfever, and it was hitting me hard while I tried to watch the game. And I was probably feeling better than any of the M's felt after falling to yet another walk-off home run. The shot hit at so-called "closing pitcher" David Aardsma bounced out of his glove, and fell just beyond his fingertips, which is a sad metaphor for this M's season so far. Had D.A. caught it, the guy who hit the homer may never have gotten the opportunity to step to the plate. And so it goes. I managed to find the re-broadcast, and saw the last half of the game. The Mariners have been competing lately, and it looks like progress is being made. Too little, too late, probably, but these last few games have been interesting. Perhaps the M's starter should've been pulled, but shoulda shoulda shoulda...I imagine this loss really hurts the team, 'cos its a game they 'shoulda' won. Tough season."
-
This posting should indicate to you, dear reader, that I've sunk about as low as I can get. In short, I Am Now Stealing From Myself. But perhaps faithful readers of my blog--all two of them--may have noticed that I haven't mentioned baseball at all this year in spite of the fact I'm a masochistic Seattle Mariners fan, and fan I am, for I continue to watch through thick and thin. And this year's "Mariners' Thin" is bordering on the anorexic right about now. If you're the kind of avid Seattle Mariners' fan who experiences mood swings, I can only caution you by telling you not to forget to take your anti-depressant medication before taking in the next M's game.
-
Longtime Seattle Mariners' sportscaster Dave Niehaus' famous call for Grand Slam Home Runs goes something like this..."break out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it's GRAND SALOMI TIME." Of course, this years' team will cause you enough heartburn without you having to eat any cold spicy meat...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home