Friday, November 06, 2009

ANOTHER SEASON DONE GONE...
...but there's always next year, right?
-
When I became aware that the New York Yankees would be one of the teams in the '09 World Series, I thought they'd probably win it. No, I'm not a Yankees fan, but that doesn't matter; I like watching good baseball no matter who's playing it. So, they won the World Series this year, and Alex Rodriguez redeemed himself; he had a slew of important hits which helped him and his team-mates to grab the great big gold trophy once again. It's been 9 years since they were World Series champions, and the only way to describe this latest Series is that The Yankees outlasted the Phillies. The Yankees had a bit more depth than the Phils, and I had thought the Yankees would would win in 7, so I wasn't too far off the mark; it only took them 6 games, but watching the Series was like seeing two great boxers slug it out. Bam. Wham. Biff. Pow. Cassius Clay and Sonny Listen all over again.
-
I'm not the type of person who looks like a Sports Fan, but I am. I think that stems from my younger days, living at home, watching Sports on Sunday Afternoons after a big Sunday dinner. I remember being a San Francisco 49'ers fan way back when John Brodie was quarterback. I remember Tony Lema, who won his share of golf tournaments; Tony died in a plane crash before his true greatness could be fully realized. Arnold Palmer was still playing good golf then; I remember his fans were called "Arnie's Army", while Lema's followers were dubbed, "Lema's Legion". I can't remember what Jack Nicklaus' fans were called, but he was playing great too. Back to baseball, I saw Stan Musial's last at-bat in the mid-sixties (he hit a fly-ball which was caught by an outfielder). I remember watching Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Sandy Koufax, and Pete Rose (he should be admitted to the Hall of fame, with an asterisk). He was a great player who made mistakes. Bad mistakes, yes. But his stats are otherworldly.
-
I hate for things to be "over". As Roger Whittaker once sang, "When they begin the overture, they start to end the show". Baseball season, sometimes known as The Big Show, has Just Ended. In addition, Football's already completed 1/3 of its current season. In both sports, there's a big end-all game which determines the champion. So that gets done, and what's left? When you've won the PGA, or the Super Bowl, or the (tennis) Grand Slam, or Hockey, Soccer or Pro basketball championships, what's left? What now? What Keeps 'em going? (Well, I guess Big Fat Contracts have something to do with it.) Still, Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over 'til its over". Well, it's over. Until the time when it starts again. And soon it will be Over Again. What's going on here? I'll tell ya; it's that unquenchably-devouring mechanism called "Time". It's eating us alive, as you are reading this, as I am typing this. Writing posts like this one brings to mind a Neil Diamond song:

...and each one there, has one thing shared
They've sweated 'neath the same sun
Looked up in wonder at the same moon
And wept when it was all done, for being done too soon
For being done...
-
So sometimes, the passing of time (and it seems to pass more rapidly as the years go by), causes me to ruminate. Although if I do that too much, I'll go insane. One day at a time, I guess. And I can't wait for Next Season to get started. Go Mariners!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Woolum Roberts said...

I found this blog, and thought you might like to check it out..it may not be your type of music, but I thought I'd pass it along, since yo seem to be interested in lots of different types of music.

http://phrockblog.blogspot.com/

2:36 PM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

Hi, and thanks a lot for thinking of me...that website features a whole lot of groups that I've never heard...some of them had records in Europe/England which were never released stateside. But I've got a few of those albums, would you believe. I was involved with the University of Idaho radio station, and it provided me access to a whole bunch of odd music by unknown bands, which can be the best or worst music, depending on how you look at it. I like the stuff because it wasn't hammered to death on the radio. So I've got that website in 'my favorites and I'll explore it whenever it isn't after 2am like is now...oh, I was gonna say, one group that no one's ever heard of is "Titanic", a group consisting of a British singer and four Norwegian instrumentalists. They can sound like Black Sabbath or the Moody Blues, or just about anyone. I only had their first album; I didn't think they'd released any more, but I searched them out on Ebay and I now have 7 or 8 Titanic albums...I got their first album way back 30-odd years ago when I was in college. And no, I wasn't a very good student. I Sluffed quite a lot...

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home