Wednesday, October 28, 2009

THE FIRST OF TWO BRAND-NEW POSTS! What a deal!
The World Series...
...'taint exactly a Rhapsody In The Rain...
-
I ran across a newspaper article today which spoke of it Not Being Natural to have a World Series this late in the year, and I Strongly Agree. As I see it (and I'm no Norman Chad or Lou Piniella, just a lowly fan), The World Series has no business being held This Late In The Year. It's raining cats and dogs over on the East Coast, and since Philadelphia ain't all that far from New York, chances are, if its raining in one city, it's raining in the other. And since Winter isn't all that far away, Ma Nature is a-fixin' to wreak havoc as she mercilessly deposits long-held precipitation (be it rain or snow) on all those involved, whether they be multi-millionaire guys who think, "I get to play baseball for a living and you DON'T" (although they'd never admit they think that) or a fan who's paid twice his life savings for the privilege of getting soaked in the stands, thinking that anything he cheers about makes any kind of difference in what's happening on the field...
-
I like the idea of the Wild Card playoffs, although some think the only reason the Big Leagues do it is to generate more money (and they're probably right). I like it because I get to watch more quality baseball at the end of the year. But obviously, yes, the 'Wild Card' takes at least a week to get played, then a week of playoffs, and then finally, the World Series. Baseball's "Spring Training" should be shortened to two weeks; I see about as much merit in Baseball's Spring training as is in Football's Pre-Season games. If it's not part of the regular season or post-season, it's Meaningless. I don't wanna see Baseball Players wallowing in late-season mud, especially in the World Series, or missing fly balls 'cos the rain is pelting them in the eyes. Better to have the Baseball Season begin in Mid-March so the season can end on Labor Day or thereabouts; aren't we supposed to be focusing on Football this time of year?
-
Some other folks out there have postulated that Baseball's Regular Season be shortened, from 162 games, back to somewhere near 150 games, and I think that would work, too. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Major League teams found a way to charge just as much for not-as-many-games by upping the Regular Admission Price, or perhaps raising the price of your ultra-decked-out Luxury Baseball Suite, the kind of place in which to influence Clients to double their purchases of your firm's manufactured micro-steel Lefthanded Widgets while you both extend your pinkie fingers and sip twenty-five dollar cans of beer. And if the schmoozers are lucky, they'll be able to at least see some baseball in-between negotiations. Peel a grape for me, please...
-
The only other option I can think of is to Lay Down The Law and say, "Every Major League Baseball Team Must have one of those Retractable Stadium Roofs, such as is the case in Seattle, the City Of Rain". Seattle hasn't had a game rained-out or snowed out, for the last decade or so. C'mon, New York, Philly, Washington D.C., Cleveland, Twin Cities and Chicago, pony up! Let's do this thing right! Maybe MLB itself could help out its franchises. It's for the GAME, after all. I really feel that Baseball loses some of its dignity (dignity?) when the Weather can control a game. I value the game of baseball for its history and its ageless appeal, but it's virtually impossible to play Any Sport, especially Baseball, well while players are taking a Mud bath at the same time.
-
Now I'm going to tell you why I feel Bad for Alex Rodriguez, the $250-million (or more) baseball player. Why should I feel sorry for him, right? Well, it is what it is. He's got the money and I don't, right? Shouldn't I be envious of him? Maybe, but for some reason, his batting average and run production go straight out the window whenever he's in a World Series. Plop, plop, fizz, fizz. Just like that. I want to see him hit, homer and Get This Monkey off his back. I'm a Seattle Mariners Fan, but even I feel bad for him when he's so mercilessly booed every time the Yankees come to Seattle.. C'mon, fans, A-Rod left Seattle for the Really Big Money so very long ago. Get Over It. Each and Every one of you wouldn't turn down millions and millions of dollars if someone offered to pay it. As far as this World Series, I don't really know which team I'm rooting for, though. Why I'd side with Philly would be 'cos Raul Ibanez, the former Mariner, who's a great guy and great player, is a Phillie. But really, I'm not as anti-Yankee this year as I've always been. Maybe as I age, I get more complacent. (Could be.) A political note: Michelle Obama and Vice President Joe Biden were at the game tonight. I guess they do let Biden out every now and then. I'm kinda wondering why the First Lady didn't have him on a leash, though...
-
BLOG UPDATE: ALEX RODRIGUEZ STRUCK OUT THREE TIMES IN THIS GAME AS THE PHILLIES BEAT THE YANKEES 6-1. What IS it with Rodriguez in World Series' Games?
-
I've been really complacent lately. I went almost a week without posting something...anyway, my blog-followers (all two of them) know that I'm basically a Volume Dealer, constantly there, shoving wordage at unsuspecting readers. Well, the post below was written just before I wrote this baseball-oriented post. That's right, two NEW posts for the price of One Visit! What a Deal! Best of all, no fuss, no muss...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home