Friday, October 02, 2009

A FRIDAY-NIGHT SORT-OF-HAPHAZARD POSTING...
...here's a little bit about a bunch of stuff...
-
Not a truly Olympic moment: I guess President Obama went over to someplace in Denmark recently to deliver a sales pitch to the Olympic committee. At stake was the right to host the summer Olympics in 2016. So he proposed that Chicago should be the hosting city 7 years from now. Maybe the Olympic Committee thot about Chicago's crime-ridden Mafioso history and said "Thanks but No Thanks"...or just "No Thanks". It's kinda hard for me to even think that far into the future at this point; in 2016, my age will be 62. In other words, I'll be starting to get really, Really Old. Nope...don't wanna think about it. Repression mechanism, where are ya...? Anyway, the picturesque city of Rio DeJaniero was chosen for the Olympics, and why not...I understand there's never been an Olympiad in South America...
-
It's time for me to take action: Some kind of action...any kind of action. I've put on weight the last 3 months. It all started at the grocery store, in the dairy section. I reached for a gallon of milk, and after putting that in the shopping basket, turned around and, presto, there was a big display featuring those big plastic packs of cookies, so I bought one. I tend to be a binge eater, and let's just say that big pack of cookies lasted 2 days. 2 whole days. You think I'd have learned my lesson; although the cookies tasted great, I lost all self-respect by the next morning. But...a couple of weeks later I did it again. BINGE! Gone, another big tray of cookies. Twice in one month. And at my most recent Doctors' Appointment, he determined that I'd gained 5 pounds. Looking back, it had to be the cookies. So I need to get my boots a-walkin'.
-
It's been a long season: Two more games left in the Regular Season. If the Seattle Mariners could've swept this last series with Texas, we'd have tied 'em for second place in the division. Although this has been a fairly successful season, The M's didn't want to give us fans all big heads by actually doing that. So the M's lost tonight, 7-4 as Texas came from behind for the win. The Mariners snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Now I'm not sure how much this has to do with anything, but the tomboyish Angie Mentink said tonite on FSN that if Seattle would've tied for second place with the Texas Rangers, each Rangers Player would've lost about $10,000. So Texas won tonite, assuring themselves of Second Place. Follow the money!
-
It's been a long season, part two: The two "wild-card" baseball playoffs begin soon, and the network that carries them isn't in my expanded-basic Cable TV service. One part of me is tempted to go to the TV people and sign up for expanded-basic-deluxe (or whatever it's called) service, but part of me says I might need a break from all of this baseball stuff. If I go two days in a row without watching a game, I start to go thru withdrawals. One week without baseball, and I'm fidgeting uncontrollably thinking about all the games I'm missing. There's usually a week between the start of the Wild-Card, and the start of the two Division Series. I'm afraid I'll start binge-eating without Baseball in the picture. Ah, but I have a strategy for that...if I'm gonna binge-eat, I'll wolf down bananas. So who do I want to win the World Series (which will actually extend into NOVEMBER, I've heard!)? Anyone but the Yankees. Beat them Damned Yankees.
-
Fun Times At The Local Pharmacy: I was in line today with a list of prescriptions from my Doctor. Other than my weight gain, I'm doing fine; the blood pressure is 120/80 and my cholesterol even came down. Part of the reason for that is the Niacin that the doctor wants me to take. And, Niacin's pretty cheap, too. My prescriptions don't cost all that much, for which I'm thankful. Sometimes people have to choose which prescriptions they want due to affordability, and that was obviously the case with the couple who I was in line behind. The guy actually said, and I quote: "If it weren't for the fact that I've got such a bad pancreas, I'd go get drunk." Hopefully he didn't also have to put gas in his car today; the prices around here are slowly creeping back up toward the $3.00-a-gallon mark.
-
Some Political Stuff: It is true that since the Presidential Election, my attention hasn't revolved around political things. As long as there isn't some kind of flagrant scandal brewing in the Obama household, I'll just accept that the various branches of government are doing whatever they do, and hope that Good Things will come from whatever they do. I do know this, though: Sarah Palin, that Walking Disaster In A Skirt, is Out There. She's hovering, menacingly; some say she's positioning herself for a Prezzidential Run in 2012. The question must be asked, "no matter what she does, says or learns, how is she going to be better then, than she is now?" History backs me up on this: Dan Quayle didn't DARE try to run for Prezzident, and Sarah's twice as flaky as he was. Sarah makes Dan Quayle look like a True Statesman. Anyway, with time now on her hands, she's got time to be an author, or an author with a ghost writer...anyway, she's come out with a new book. Pictured below is her book, featuring a cover design that was rejected at the last possible minute before publication:
-
















-
In Dan Quayle's defense...remember when he Very Publicly Said that "Potatoe" is the correct spelling of that tuber we all know and love? Here's my take: The plural of "Potato" is "Potatoes", so while he committed a blunderous faux pas there, at least it was a semi-educated, but still clueless, stab in the dark. He dropped the "S", but kept the "E". An "oops" moment...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home