Friday, August 07, 2009

WHEN IN DOUBT, TOSS IN A FEW PICTURES...
...or, how to fake a post when yer in a blogging drought...
-
Never fear...this blog still has some life left in it...I think. There is no really good reason I haven't been posting a lot lately. I'd like to think of it as a sort of "ebb and flow" type situation. Anyway, it's Friday night; here's my first post of this entire week (!!!), which means I've got time to cram in another post for my self-imposed quota of Two Postings Per Week. (That reminds me of a brand of canned almonds whose slogan is "a can a week, that's all we ask.")
-
So, how about some pictures? It's been cloudy and rainy quite a lot this summer; it's already August, and I haven't got my yearly sunburn yet. Of course, the temperatures have been nice and cool, in the '60s and '70s, while folks on the other side of the Coastal Range are languishing in high-90's and low-100's temperatures. When that happens, it gets really foggy here; something about cool air running into warm air. Come fall is when it's really nice here on the Oregoon Coast...September and October can be Very Stellar Months down here. But the Sun was Actually Out the other day; luckily I'd recharged my camera batteries...
-
Let's get right to it...here are some pictures for ya...I'll place captions ahead of the pictures for your Maximum Ease in trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing. The first two pix, below, showcase boats and buildings on either side of Charleston Harbor. Boats traveling away from where I took the pix then head into Coos Bay, and then, the Ocean. Whenever the sun shines down here, it feels like a holiday...'cos the sun ain't out a whole lot until later in the year...
-







-

I then turned around and shot the 'below left' photo, looking East/Southeast for a view up the South Slough of Coos Bay, and for quite a distance inland, the channel remains wide. And, of course, what's a Coastal Sunny Day without a shot of Mr. Seagull in repose? So there he is, below right...all 4 of the fotos above were taken from the Drawbridge which crosses the slough.







-
I've been stuck in traffic when the midsections of the drawbridge lifted upward to allow passage of taller fishing boats and other large watercraft, but hey, usually the temps, even on the hot days, aren't really hot and the sun makes everything shimmer, so it's all good...although, one night it was stuck as I was heading home. I live a couple miles north of this bridge, but to get home that night, I had to drive a 25-mile loop to get home. That Was Not Fun.
-
Every Sunset seems to have a personality all its own. And, some sunsets are shorter than others, because clouds on the horizon sometimes obscure the sun and it disappears sooner than if the sky was totally clear. But sometimes those cloudy sunsets can get really interesting, because the clouds seem to lend a weird mystical coloration to everything, such as in the two pictures below, where the sun is trying its damndest to stay visible as long as it can...a battle it lost this evening:
-








-
The Aftermath Of The Sunset can be seen in the picture at below left; in the foreground is a small creek that runs across Bastendorff Beach and enters the ocean, so you have fresh water near the salty sea, and in that fresh water, A Flock Of Seagulls take a bath before flying off to wherever Seagulls Go At Night.










So all in all, that brings to an end this posting on a Quite Inconsequential Day on the Southern Oregon Coast. And ,when I have an Actual Subject to post, instead of frantically slapping pictures here on the blog, you'll be the first to know...in the meantime, you can click on any or all of the above fotos and the pictures will get waaaay big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home