Saturday, June 13, 2009

Getting in Just Under The Wire...
"My blogging drought continues", Volume 237
-
Saturday night, the last night of the week, and here I am, 4 hours before midnight this time around, so I'll meet my goal of two posts a week. Of course, Some Blog Contents may have settled due to shipping and handling, but at least I've posted something. This about-face is due to the fact that I'm not really going to Facebook much anymore, which cut into vital posting time. So instead of goofing around at Facebook, I'll goof off here instead. So anyway, do I have a plan for this particular post? No, not really...I still can't think of much of anything to post about, so what I did instead was nab some photos from my files and try to show everyone how unique an individual I am (Yeah, like I'm going to become That anytime soon). So, this post will be typical of Whimsical Posts Nobody Reads. You could be reading one right now...
-
The first photo, below, is a 1926 record by Vintage Songbird Jane Green, who passed away in 1931. So long ago. When I hear her records, it's difficult to even comprehend that she hasn't been on this planet for going on 80 years. The title is "Mamma Loves Pappa, Pappa Loves Mamma", but the B-side's even better..."Mamma Goes Where Pappa Goes, Or Pappa Don't Go Out To-Nite". That record's got to be one of the earliest-ever conceptual singles, what with both titles addressing domestic bliss...or the lack thereof.
-
-
Below are the only two Picture Discs in my collection. I remember back in the '80s when they were all the rage, but actually, Picture Discs had been made back as long ago as the 1940's and possibly earlier. Anyway, if you're only going to have one Picture Disc, I suppose it should be The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper"; side one features the cover photo, and side two (not shown) features the "Sgt. Pepper" bass drum, close-up. The second disc is "Monkee Business" by Your Favorite Teen Idols, which is actually a collection of obscure and hard-to-find Monkees tunes. The biggest disadvantage of Picture Discs, for me, is that if I want to play a track in the middle of the record, I have difficulty seeing where the 'bands' between the songs are as the disc spins...
-
-
In the photo below, you'll see an obscure, nameless band from the early 1900's whose photo was featured on the innersleeves of '60s albums made by Reprise Records; you know, the label on which Jimi Hendrix and Neil Young, among many others placed some of their most important music. The photo caption reads thusly: "Reprise Records, Makers Of Fine Music". There were so many good singers and players way back when, and tragically, we cannot really hear how fine they were, since the recording technology basically sucked eggs in the Early Daze. I would imagine this band had to blow as hard as they could in front of a mammoth recording horn, hoping the device picked up their sound at all. So here they are, The Un-named Horn Band; forerunners of such brass groups as Chicago or Blood, Sweat and Tears...

-
Warner Bros. Records, who owned Reprise, had a sort-of 'yesteryear' campaign of their own; their '70s innersleeves featured a photo taken September 23, 1917, featuring the Main Street of Beautiful Downtown Burbank with horses and buggies everywhere. The road wasn't paved. It was such a long time ago. And I can't help but wonder about the people in the photo. They're all gone now. And to think that between 1917 and now, is , in geological time, barely the blink of an eye. Whoa...better change direction here...things are gettin' heavy...
-
This next little device has kept me company for the last decade...I take it with me as I walk on the beach, and I can hear Mariners Games, and it even has a little antenna with which I can pick up FM stations...and if you dial-down your preference for Ultra-High-Fidelity, this little unit actually does a pretty fair job of keeping me informed or entertained, and sometimes both at the same time. (Although there is nothing entertaining about hearing the Mariners Lose.) So here it is, my little "Gran Prix" transistor radio that has somehow survived the elements of salt, sea and sand over the last decade...this was a little Used item I bought at a Goodwill Store for a buck or two in the 1990's...I'd say I've gotten my moneys' worth...
-
-
Finally, a couple of pictures from the Wild Kingdom. Well, maybe not so wild; I don't know. Marlon Perkins did it a lot better than I, but here goes, anyway. I will preface this photo by saying, if you've got a 'frog in your throat', hopefully it's nowhere near the size of Mr. Toad, pictured below. Or you might croak, heh heh...
-

-
This next little guy has the same expression on his face that's usually on mine; that of endless bewilderment. I was surfing around on Craigslist, and while looking at the Pets For Sale, I saw the words "Sugar Glider", and honestly, I've never heard of such a creature before. It looks kinda like a cross between a Mouse (ears) and an Owl (eyes).


-
That's it, that's all you get this time around, but it's probably enough, right? Two more tidbits, though. The Mariners lost tonight after committing a crucial throwing error when the game was tied. Not very 'entertaining'. And, the group "Cream" recorded a song featuring a Ginger Baker drum solo; the title is "Toad". And with that, I can mercifully end this piecemeal posting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home