Tuesday, May 05, 2009

HALLUCINATING AT THE LOCAL GOODWILL STORE...
...or, what happens when musical worlds collide...

Thrift stores are one of the best things I can think of, really. Look in your daily paper, especially as Summer Draweth Nigh. Within the classified pages, you'll see Hundreds of Garage Sales. In the past, I've taken "junking" trips with friends of mine...plotting all the garage sales on a map, and then rushing off to each one in a frenzy before all the good stuff is gone. It's a good way to wear yerself out. So, the thrift stores and junk shops are ultra-convenient. After all, at thrift stores and junk shops, you can find all sorts of Old Stuff. Although, in a "Junk Shop", items are bound to be pricier. And, those old items are pricier yet at an Antique Store, which also contains tons and tons of Old Stuff.

Were it not for Thrift Stores, I couldn't afford the armloads of Old Records and Paperback Books I consume. I wouldn't have near the amount of VHS movies in my collection without Thrift Stores. My CD deck and 2 portable CD players all came from Thrift Stores, as do a lot of my CD storage racks and tables on which sit my Stereo Equipment. I just found a great leather cap last week whilst looking for nothing in particular. I've found great new or almost-new clothing at Thrift Stores; while most of those items are marked "Irregular" which is okay, seeing as how I have an Irregular Body to begin with. Okay, by now, you're wondering, "well this is all well and good, but what does it have to do with Hallucinating, and what does it have to do with Colliding Musical Worlds?"

Well, as I left the Goodwill Store the other day, I looked back at the Record Rack I had just finished browsing through, and in the front sat this album, by Englebert Whatshisdinck...the king of Easy-Listening Crooning, whose real name is actually Gerry Dorsey...


...and when I saw this particular album, all of a sudden, it hit me...even though I 've never heard ol' Englebert sing, "I just wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day", I personally think there's quite a strong resemblance between him and the bass player for KISS, Gene Simmons (pictured below)...


Now you might not be totally convinced at the proposition I have put forth here; in fact, you might just think I might be seriously Off My Rocker, in which case, you might be correct. But, view the following composite photo and Tell Me There Ain't A Resemblance...

By the way, I read somewhere that Gene Simmons had his Tongue insured for over a million dollars. I imagine that when he stuck his tongue out in school, he had a tough time reeling it back in. Englebert Humperdinck and Gene Simmons in the same blog. Who'd've thot?

2 Comments:

Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

I think you're onto something there....... I had forgotten all about dear old humperdinkle lol

x

2:56 PM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

Hi, Marmea...Actually, Englebert was Quite The Hitmaker in his day. His version of "Am I Easy To Forget" is probably the best song he ever sang. Music for you to listen to while you eat your toasty soldiers...

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home