Sunday, November 30, 2008

Miss Lee Morse...
She's 111 Years Old Today...

Miss Lee Morse was born on today's date, November 30th, 1897. Her music has become part of my life. I first found out about her approximately a year ago. I've collected her records, I've started my own "Yahoo Group" about her, (www.groups/yahoo.com/group/Miss_Lee_Morse) which features photos, audio and numerous Lee Links. I've even exchanged e-mails with her Grandson, John, which was an HONOR.

Lee Morse recorded over 200 songs, and I've heard at least 95% of those. Mr. Ian House, who maintains a wonderful Lee Morse website, http://www.leemorse.com/, has almost the complete Lee Morse songbook posted there. Some time ago, he sent me a CD collection of her music, complete with shrinkwrap he actually dipped into the Clearwater River, near her family's old homestead in Kooskia, Idaho, where she grew up.

There's a really sweet lady in San Francisco who calls herself "Confetta" (what a great name!) who has erected numerous websites in Lee Morse's honor. In researching Lee Morse's life and music, I've met some really cool people along the way. And I've had the honor and privilege of hearing The Music of Lee Morse.

You can also type in 'Lee Morse' in the blog-search box, at upper left, to see all the other posts I've written about her. I've detailed her history, I've written of her Life and Times, and I've tried to make anyone who frequents this blog aware of her. But this post is about Lee Morse, her music, the person she was, and the impressions she's left upon the ears of her listeners.

So I thought, "what song would be the Best Single Song which would reveal more, perhaps, than any other song she sang, the person she was and the passion and intensity she brought to her music?" And I chose one tune. And I think Miss Morse would say, "that's just the song." (She actually said that line in a 1930 film short, "Song Service"--available on Ian's site, detailed above, or on YouTube, as well as many other sites.)

Why did I choose this song? I believe she took her relationships very seriously. I believe she was emotionally fragile. She was devastated when her second husband, Bob Downey (also her pianist) left her for a stripper. By then, she was living in Rochester, New York and her friends were worried about her; she took it so hard.

Having become aware of the joys and passions she felt, I think this One Song sums her up more than Any Other Song she ever did...it's a song that she wrote...in essence, at least to me, it's the Pure Essence of Miss Morse. And it's quite possibly the most Beautiful Song Ever Written. I've enclosed it below. Happy Birthday, Lee...



Miss Lee Morse...not just another singer or songwriter...an Artist in the true sense of the word...a true musician...she wrote almost a third of the songs she recorded. For that, too, I admire her...



Miss Lee Morse, born November 30, 1897 in Cove, Oregon; she passed away December 16, 1954, in Rochester, New York. And her music lives on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home