Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present...
Miss JANE GREEN, singer...

You won't find a whole lot of songs out there by Jane Green. During her recording career, she made only 33 sides, and that doesn't count the number of songs which her record label rejected. Ah, the price of stardom...where songs you've put your heart into are left sealed away in record company vaults, never to be heard by the listening public.

Like others in show business, she fell on some hard times later in her life. She ended up losing a bunch of money in the Stock Market; she lost her first husband, whom she was exceptionally close to; her 2nd marriage was evidently quite stormy. And, she was severely injured in a car crash, after which her recording career slowed waaay, waaaay down, and she passed away a few years after that.

But for a brief shining moment, she had it all. She recorded for a big record company, she was a huge star, she sang with verve and enthusiasm, and when you listen to her records, her personality bubbles forth, and although she's been gone for a while, she sounds fresh and immediate. And even though I've posted about her before, I wanted, again, to introduce you to Jane Green...


















Ain't that a great photo? You might recall that I mentioned she'd Departed From Us some time ago. In 1927, she was involved in a fairly serious car crash in which she suffered a broken nose (never a good thing for a singer), and the after-effects of the crash made her health ever more fragile; she passed away due to a paralytic stroke in 1931, at the tender age of 34.

I mentioned that she recorded for a big record label. She actually recorded for the old Perfect Records label to begin with; one of her label-mates there was Miss Lee Morse, who I really, really flipped out over. I discovered Miss Morse on YouTube, and that's also where I found out about Jane Green. She was signed to the Victor label in the late 1920's...back before the label became RCA Victor. And here's one of her Victor records...now tucked away safely in my collection...


















And, as I stated before, she was definitely an exuberant singer, and I have evidence of that coming up. I don't know anything about posting my own audio on the Internet, so I've stolen a song of hers from YouTube which comes complete with a cool little photo montage; it's another song I have in my own collection, "Honey Bunch", from 1926. Sounds like the 'roaring 20's' were really a fun time...



Finally, if you find yourself getting into this music from a Vintage Songbird, just about everything she recorded is on a CD, available from Superbatone Records, and an LP, pressed on Blue Vinyl, containing 13 of her songs can also be obtained there. Just put "Jane Green Superbatone" into your favorite search engine, and go from there.
____________________

One of my favorite things-to-do is to turn people on to music they might not have already heard. True, a person can't be expected to like everything (In my case, Opera and Rap), but there are Unknown Worlds of Music out there, waiting to be explored. Have fun exploring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home