Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Isn't it nice to know...
SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE...

I wrote something in my previous posting about how I hoped some things would not change around these parts. Even though I am leaving Coeur d'Alene soon, it is a beautiful place. Back in the '60s and '70s, I had such a fun time growing up here. This city was everything to me; really, it's been the only place for me for a lot of reasons. And it may be again in the future, but that's something I don't know yet. And, this summer, I again spent a lot of time down at City Park; it's just about the only place one can go without getting driven off beaches, it's one of the few places where you really can't stumble onto someone's private property. As you can tell, I really hate the whole Sanders' Beach situation, where the property owners are trying to take over the beach. But, that's out of my hands, and quite possibly, out of everyone elses' hands as well.

Watching the seaplanes take off and land on the lake is one of life's little pleasures. As is, watching the birds play upon the wind, watching the sailboats glide soundlessly by, and as long as there isn't too much sidewalk noise resulting from skateboarders rolling past, hearing the sounds of a pickup basketball game, or people in casual conversation strolling by. The park is a feeding ground for life itself. And I've spent so much time there. It is a magical place. I hope that never changes. I'll come back to CDA every now and then, so I'll be checking the situation! And so, let me present a view that never changes. This was taken around 1910...



This is an old postcard picture of Coeur d'Alene Lake, with Tubbs hill at left. How many times I've gazed at this view and just let my mind wander, and it's a photo that is burned forever into my memory. And I hope this view never changes. What's the reason for being here if we don't have views like this? A perfect antidote to the neurotic workaday world, for sure.
____________________

For those of you who have been so patient, I've included below the last 2 pages of an old magazine article on Coeur d'Alene that was published in 1906. I've seen a lot of old pictures of the area over the last year, and it appears some of those shots might have originated with this article, back when everything was in black and white...be sure and click on the pictures so you can read the type...


____________________

Okay, I got THAT done and out of the way. The house is still in the process of getting sold. Somehow I've gotta keep the place straight enough for prospective buyers, yet I've gotta begin packing stuff now, so I'm striking a tenuous balance here. Or trying to, anyway. What a life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home