Friday, November 24, 2006

Clearing out the cobwebs...
A couple of old fotos I had laying around (and I do mean "OLD"!)

I'm still in the throes of deciding what I'm gonna do about this blog. It's been largely historical in nature, since I've lived in North Idaho since before the Wheel was invented, but soon I won't be here, so that aspect of this site will probably be an aspect no longer. I just don't know yet. I know that I'll always be checking in to various sites (including www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/hbo) to find out what's happening 'round these parts.

So anyway, I've been saving area photos like a stark raving maniac for the last year; I've got hundreds of 'em. Including some I've never used yet; just couldn't think of a use for 'em, or perhaps I found better photos of more essential localities, so as a result some photos had to take a back seat. For some reason, I didn't delete them. And here's a couple of previously rejected photos. Hey, I never said this blog exemplified any kind of quality...

For this first photo, we'll go back to the year 1907...taken near Desmet, on the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation (or, the "rez", as it's lovingly referred to today)...this photo goes so far "wayback" that I may never be able to return to the present...



Looks bleak, doesn't it? No public telephones, no traffic jams, no radio stations, and in this shot its amazing how much North Idaho looks like Ethopia. Maybe it's no wonder that the first three letters of "Desmet" serve the same function for the word "Desolate". (A derivative?)
____________________

I've posted this next photo before, taken from that rock outcropping up thar on the northwest face of Tubbs Hill, waaay above the trail where, on a clear day, you can see ATHOL. From that alone, an outsider could conclude that North Idaho is an ultra-exciting place...



This was taken around 1910, and as you can see, it's an actual mailed postcard that shows the portion of the Coeur d'Alene lake waterfront, upon which now sits the CDA Rezzort. And when THAT falls into the lake, I wonder what else will be built there. (It LEANS lakeward! I have reliable sources!)
____________________

Finally, never let it be said I am not concerned about national events. For instance, just the other day, someone DID mistake George W. Bush for a turkey...



...and since the arrow hit him in the head, I betcha he didn't feel a thing. Gobble, gobble.
____________________

Hope y'all had a happy Turkey Day. Try not to get killed while doing early Christmas shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home