Monday, November 06, 2006

Blogger's Note: My series of 1906 Coeur d'Alene article magazine pages continues below, but first you've gotta slog away and try to get thru all this stuff that you see here...you can do it, I've got faith in ya...
____________________

Have you ever been...
PUT IN YOUR PLACE???
Well, I was...

It happened either Thursday or Friday night while I was shopping at ye olde grocery store. It was evidently the late shift, and things were pretty relaxed, so after making my purchase, I was talking to two of the employees who were operating checkstands, and we ended up talking about old music, and I told them I was really into the Beatles, and how mad I was at the way John Lennon's life was taken. Well, the young man behind one checkstand said, "Well, I wasn't even ALIVE then, but I sure like their music." Afterwards, I hauled my old dilapidated body out to my car and drove away. What else could I do?


Anyway, it's strange, the way things work out sometimes. After typing all the above, I realized I had this REALLY COOL picture of The Beatles, as they might have appeared in their sixties, as drawn by an artist some 20 or 30 years ago. From left to right, you can see John, Ringo, Paul and George. They all had artistic differences. They couldn't "work it out".

Actually, Paul's looking pretty good these days, and Ringo seems to be doing okay, too, in spite of the fact he's had some medical problems down through the years. Of course, in George's case, he passed away from cancer "All Those Years Ago" (a George song), and it would still be interesting if John were still alive. One can only "imagine". It's a cliched thot, but their music lives on.

Okaay....time for the main course. My little ten-part series of "Coeur d'Alene 1906: A Brief History". Wow, that title sounds really official, as if it was as boring as your average college course. Naaaaah, you won't be tested. No surprised unannounced pop-quizzes or anything like that. All you have to do, in fact, is click on the following magazine page to read it. Interesting stuff...



Towards the end of the article, the writer writes about a guy who wanted to started his own business, so he traveled around the country, visiting all kinds of capitalistic operations, and decided to open his own ground-breaking business in Coeur d'Alene, a SILK SHOP. That's actually kind of a ridiculous sounding until idea you realize that nowadays, CDA has a shop that sells nothing but GREEN OLIVES. And then you realize BOTH ideas are ridiculous!
____________________

Although.....I do like a pungent sour green olive that makes my taste buds ossify. When I used to play drums in bars, I'd always steal a green olive from the bar...mmmmmph.....!!! Sour!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Mr. Sander (and/or his son) mentioned in the article is the source of the name for Sander's Beach?
And the name "Table Supply" intrigues me...the name of the store just north of the Viking and the White Pine (across from the old Junior High on Seventh) was "Mark's Table Supply." Wonder if it's the same business?
Thanks for sharing the article.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

Tivish, I actually DO remember Mark's Table Supply. I never went in, but I remember riding up and down 7th street with my Mom, and seeing the storefront. And there's more articles where that one came from. I'll probably post 'em again tomorrow.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home