Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A long-forgotten image of yesteryear...
Coeur d'Alene's USO club...


I've been experiencing a real photo-drought lately. My usual source, Ebay, which sends me "Coeur d'Alene" photos, has pretty-much been lately sending stuff I can't use, or stuff that I've seen before. And, doing these posts for quite a while now, I can read Ebay's item-description, and 75% of the time, I know what it is, 'cos I've seen it before. But there are times when I get a photo I've never seen before...and that's always nice. Gives me something to post, after all.

Coeur d'Alene had a USO club here in town back in the days of World War II...I can imagine that servicepeople from Farragut and the Spokane area could escape the rigors of military service by coming here to the USO club. I've posted pictures of it before, but those pictures didn't really reveal its exact location...other than it was in the City Park area somewhere.

That has changed...this photo, looking westward, reveals EXACTLY where Coeur d'Alene's USO club was...so gaze at THIS, why don'tcha...



Coeur d'Alene's long-gone USO club...located just west of the City Park Entrance, those stone columns which still stand today. This makes me wonder if the old restroom building, which was torn down and replaced with the Rotary Bandshell building, was a remnant of this old USO club. That is mere conjecture on my part, tho. The basketball court area is off to the right of this picture. I was surprised to get this photo, and am glad that I can put this "USO Myth" to rest. Hopefully the picture will get bigger if you click on it.
____________________

I still think it would be great to jump into a time-machine, and go back to the '40's or '50s, and spend a couple of days here in CDA. I suppose posts like this are the next-best thing. Like the old restaurant sign says, "We aim to please; hope we hit the mark".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home