Thursday, September 14, 2006

HAVE PHOTO, WILL POST...
yeah, right, as if I needed a reason...

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been doing these photo-postings so long now, I've seen a lot of what's out there as far as historical depictions of our area, but every now and then, I get a foto I ain't seen before, and such is the case with the following shot:




Judging from the position of the Point on Tubbs Hill, I would place this location at roughly where Independence Point is now. It's another one of those "Scotty's Studio" photos from the mid-to-late '40s. And, it looks like wooden boats will never go out of style. A boat similar in style to the one at "foto-right" is used to ferry passengers from the CDA Rezzort to the overpriced Rezzort golf course. Heaven forbid anyone actually set foot in Coeur d'Alene if they don't wanna, after all.
____________________

That's the way the ball bounces dept.: Something I wanted to touch upon is the danger baseball pitchers face every time they take the mound. Raphael Soriano of the Mariners got hit in the head by a baseball smacked by Vladdy Guerrero (pound-for-pound, probably the strongest player in baseball). Soriano was on the ground for quite a while until he was gurneyed off to the nearest hospital. Two weeks later, Soriano is still having minor headaches, and according to a news article I read today, he can't perform motor skills (whatever that means)...and Soriano's season is over, if not his baseball career altogether.

I read something in a Beatles' biography how John Lennon's friend, artist Stu Sutcliffe met his fate. Sutcliffe sold a painting, and Lennon talked him into buying a bass guitar because the Beatles needed a bass player (This was approx. 1960-61). One night, after playing the Cavern Club in Liverpool, the Beatles were attacked by a bunch of guys who were mad because their girlfriends admired the group, and Stuart was kicked in the head. Afterwards, he began having severe headaches, and later died. The autopsy found that Sutcliffe had a small depression in his skull that was pressing upon his brain. And I hope that ain't the case with Soriano.

I've seen so many close calls, where a batter will smoke a ball back at the pitcher, faster than it was thrown. I've seen pitchers hit in the shins, in the stomach, in the back, and even when the pitcher catches the ball, it's more of a defensive, protective reaction, more than anything else. Batters are stronger and beefier than they used to be, and it is my firm opinion that someday a pitcher will get killed. I'd like to see some sort of protection for a pitcher...a pitching helmet, or SOMETHING that will protect the pitcher? By the time the pitcher tosses the ball, he's about 60 feet away from home plate, with the ball coming back at him close to 100mph. Something to think about.
____________________

So, that's it. Get in, get out. I am embarking on a career of cost-efficient blog posting. I will not post a blog before its time. Contents of this blog may have settled due to shipping and handling. Just so ya know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home