Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I actually went out to a MOVIE!
I wanted to experience this one on a big screen...

I went out tonite to see my first movie at a theater in I don't know how many years. Most of the subjects that movies are about really aren't worth my time, and when a movie comes along that I have a vague interest in, I usually buy the DVD, or a second-hand VHS. What was the last movie I saw in a theater? I think it was the then-newest James Bond film, which was several years ago. I wanted to see "Titanic" on the big screen, and I wasn't disappointed; in fact, I paid to see it AGAIN. I also saw "Dead Man Walking"; for some reason, prison movies intrigue me. I must be a real sicko. I can almost count on one hand the amount of movies I've seen at a theater. But one such movie came along just recently, and I wanted the big-screen experience...

I went and saw "World Trade Center" tonight. This movie about the "9-11" disaster in New York was something I wanted to experience. Sure, there's editorializing that goes on in film, but that aside, I at least came away with a better idea of what happened, and how things looked on the day of the disaster. In a way, I was a little bit disappointed, because the movie focused primarily on two of the survivors that were rescued. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad they survived; I guess I was looking for a more "all-encompassing" story line. A short time ago, the "A&E" network showed its version of the "9-11" disaster, which was a bit more all-encompassing; but the "World Trade Center" movie did give a great visualization of the chaos and confusion happening on the streets, and the emotion involved with the two policemen rescued in the rubble and the turmoil their families went through was very gripping.

I think I liked the "A&E" film a little better. It was titled "Flight 93", which was the plane that crashed into the Pentagon. As that movie progressed, it did show some of the turmoil and confusion happening in New York, as well as the excruciating tension exemplified by the passengers on the doomed airplane who had already heard about the two planes crashing into the World Trade Center. Plus, there was the added tension of the passengers held hostage on the plane, in addition to air-traffic controllers who had the plane on the radar, but had no idea where it was going. Probably, the perfect "9-11" movie would have combined elements of both films I've described here.



On September 11, 2001, it was my day off from cab driving, and I slept in. I got up and went to a local restaurant, about 11 that morning. And there was "something in the air", and I had to ask the waitress, "did something happen today?" And after she told me, I had a pit in my stomach. A feeling of gloom and doom. And to this day, even though everyone says Osama Bin Laden and his ilk were responsible for this disaster, for the life of me, I can't understand why our country instead went to Iraq and deposed Sadam Hussein. I have never understood that. And if me, a virtual political idiot, wonders that, how many people who know more than I are also wondering that? Answer that one, President George Bush! Because right now we are shoving democracy down the throats of the Iraqis and getting our young soldiers killed in the process.
____________________

I don't understand why a movie house has to charge over FOUR DOLLARS for a coke! At conventional prices, soft-drinks are high-profit items. Oh well, now I'm prepared for sticker-shock should I ever go to a Mariners' game someday and pay 8 bucks for a glass of watered down beer...

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I can see what you mean about a more all-encompassing story, but I liked how Stone zeroed in on these two men and their families, and just gave their unique view of this horrific day

8:59 AM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

Hey, Mr. Reel (or Mr. Fanatic?), I'll agree with you to a point; what the movie DID cover, it covered well. I was hoping for a bigger picture of the disaster. I don't mean to diminish the importance of the two survivors in the film, I just wanted a bigger picture. If you can, tune in to A&E and see when (if) they're showing "Flight 93" again; it's worth it.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home