Sunday, July 09, 2006

A LONG AND WINDING ROAD...
...I'm glad it doesn't lead to MY door!

When I first added the following photo to my files, it looked really terrible, but I thot, what the hey, I'll get around to improving it one fine day. It was all washed out, like someone had poured Clorox on it. Not only that, but the photo was set on some kind of mounting board, and it was as crooked as your average Republican Presidential Administration. (In other words, REALLY crooked.)

So I worked on it, using all of the tools at my disposal. I had to rotate the photo just a bit so I could get it straight. Then I got into the fine-tuning adjustments, and "warmed up" the color, then I worked on all of the shades in the picture, and magically, the details began to fill themselves in, and it started to look pretty decent. The photo changed so much, in fact, that at first I'd thought it pictured one location, when instead, it turned out to be another location. Anyway, I'm kinda proud of this...



At first I thought this photo depicted Bennett Bay, but as the colors filled in, it began to look more and more like Beauty Bay, and I'll stick with that guess. Notice the old highway at right, hugging the hillside; it was replaced by a road that's a bit more level, closer to lake level. Still, the present-day road is still almost as narrow as your average alley, which means YOU'D BETTER NOT BE TALKING ON A CELL-PHONE WHEN DRIVING THERE! It's a pretty tricky road, and if you don't wanna find out first-hand how deep the lake is, you'd better concentrate fully!

I never have liked driving the long and winding road that ascends Beauty Bay; for me, it's a white-knuckle-ride every time on that little goat-trail of a road. I haven't been on that road for about 13 years now, and I don't plan to drive it anytime in the near future. It must be quite hellish in the winter. (Which, incidently, is probably where the expression, "Cold as Hell" comes from!) Thousands of photos have been taken from this spot over the years; a really large back-lit depiction of this view can be seen at the Eagles club downtown.

And, as long as I don't have to drive it, this bay view does really have some 'beauty'.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be proud of this picture. I wouldn't want to drive on that road either. I'm a chicken. Yoda!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

Cathy, hon, that road may be a little wider and closer to the lake, but when it begins heading up to the top, it twists and winds, with sheer dropoffs of hundreds of feet, and a lot of the way, there aren't even guardrails, not that they'd do a lotta good. Ack Ack Ack. Highway Acrophobia for sure!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home