Tuesday, April 18, 2006

McCain: Let's hope it doesn't come to this...
Being all things to all people is noble, but is it possible?

Look, I don't know squat about politics, and I don't much care what's gonna happen. Well, actually I do care, but if one waxes existential ("whatever will be, will be"), then we just kinda float in the river and the water takes us to our destination; this just seems to be the ultimately unpredictable course that life seems to run.

I don't have much political background; most of the political stuff I hear is on "Imus In The Morning". But, Don Imus has said that John McCain "has the possibility to be a really great President", and I agree. McCain is the real deal, and the only reason I WOULDN'T vote for him is because he's a Republican.

Just from the "drift" I get from the various talking heads, it seems that McCain is softening his approach; exercising all kinds of caution concerning any potential withdrawal from the Iraqi War, this from a man who was a tortured prisoner of war for such a long time in Vietnam. You'd think he'd wanna pull our troops home ASAP, so go figure.

Is he trying to appeal to Republicans by exercising caution in troop withdrawal? Is he trying to appeal to Democrats by advocating that our troops will one day be brought home from the war? Is he wanting to associate too closely with Prezzident Bush in order to stay "true to the Republican Cause", or is he trying to stay just far enough from Bush to prove he (McCain) isn't some sort of ideological clone?

I LIKE McCain. If anyone's the real deal, politically, he is. I'm not saying he's one thing or the other, but I wonder. It's a political point I have admittedly pondered, as you can see below:



Oh well, we don't have to make any rash decisions on this until 2008. So there's adequate time for everyone to flip and flop around and jockey for position. Oughta be interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

The wide wonderful world of politics. I think whenever you have to represent "the people", you have to make concessions here and there. I think that's known as "representative democracy". I guess you say what ya hafta in order to git where you wanna go.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home