Friday, March 24, 2006

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT???
...or, how a Rottweiler caused my life to flash before my eyes...

I haven't been able to run for the last 6 years, but I've got a lot of memories. Thousands of training miles, hundreds of races, running-based friendships, and tons of fresh air. Once, a little doe deer followed me as I was running down Lakeshore Drive. Another time, a little puppy joined me on one of my runs, and ran with me the entire way; I thot that was cool.

Encounters with DOGS are a hazard to any runner; a canine has a natural "chase reaction", and of course, the dog can run faster than the runner! Were it not for fences, I am sure I'd have been eaten alive several times over. Once, I was stopped in the middle of the street by a salivating Rottweiler; I froze, and yelled at the owner to call off his dog. My definition of "Rottweiler"? That's easy..."A Pit Bull on Stilts."

With that in mind, I present the following photo, stolen from www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/hbo.



If it can't be built, they won't come dept.: I read today that the city of CDA doesn't want to extend any more sewer service to Fernan Village, which could put the plans to build the proposed "Fernan Tower" condominium into jeopardy. (It was set to be built where the Monte Vista motel is now). How many ways are there to say, "YAAAAAY!!!"? But yet, building continues on the Haggacorp Golf Course condo, which is just down CDA Lake Drive a little ways, albeit on the Coeur d'Alene side of the street. The Fernan Towers were NOT going to be built by Haggacorp. I'm not saying one has something to do with the other, but it is something to WONDER about!

What is the real reason the city of CDA doesn't wanna extend sewer service for the Fernan condo? Did someone "lean" on the powers that be? How big of an interest does Mr. H have in the CDA condo located at 7th and Front? Or any other condos to be constructed within the CDA city limits? Enquiring minds want to know. And is that a prerequisite for Condo's in this area? In short, "outsiders" can't have condos? Maybe there's nothing to this at all, but it makes me wonder. And if I'm wondering about this, how many others are wondering the same thing? Hmmm......I'm the last one to want any condos AT ALL in this area, but at the same time, I don't endorse instances of "shady influence" either. How influential IS "Haggacorp Hostility"?

He didn't get that way from eating his Wheaties dept.: There's a book which came out today, detailing to the "nth" degree the (alleged) steroid usage by one Barry Bonds, of whom it could be said, "yeah, his appearance HAS changed slightly over the years." One story is that Bonds got sick of all the attention Mark McGwire got when he, McGwire, hit all o'them home runs, so Bonds wanted to get bigger and stronger and do the same thing. On the "Imus" show this morning, the sports guy, Chris Carlin, said that Bonds even paid his steroid supplier NOT to supply steroids to another baseball player that he, Bonds, was having disagreements with. I suppose it won't be long 'till we see Bonds' countenance plastered all over the National Enquirer, even though it would be a better fit if he were on the cover of the "Weekly World News", the most screaming-yellow-subjournalism tabloid that's ever existed.

'Zigging with the 'Zags dept.: I am not one to jump on bandwagons, but the Gonzaga Bulldogs, from nearby Spokane, had a pretty good run at this years' NCAA basketball tournament, but came up short to UCLA last night, 73-71. I've seen a few NCAA games on TV, and they are exciting; it takes me back to the days when Dad used to take me to CHS Viking and NIJC Cardinals basketball games. I must admit I became a fan of Gonzaga's shaggy-haired Adam Morrison; all gangly, he of the "almost" mustache, and he plays in spite of having diabetes; you've just gotta admire someone like that. Well, the Washington Huskies are playing tonite, and they're ahead at the half, so I'll be paying attention to that. The 'Zags did play their hearts out all season. Tough loss last night. It's a shame anyone has to lose, but as Walter Cronkite used to say, "...and that's the way it is."
____________________

Well, I've been hitting the blogs pretty hard this week; I read the news today, oh boy, and nothing much seemed to "stick". So I'll end things here, for the time being. Hope y'all have a groooovy weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home