Thursday, February 23, 2006

BLEAAAAH!
My reaction to the weather today!

I try to see "some good" in most every day. After all, I appreciate that I'm still around to enjoy what I can out of life. But today (almost) "took the cake". It was blustery and windy when I headed out the front door and got in the car. So I drove down to the Java place, parking on Front Ave, with the lake in full view. The winds blowing off the lake were forceful and cold, and it was all I could do to hang onto my hat as I trudged towards my "daily coffee". So I got coffee and sat down, and it began raining out there, so I guess I timed that out right. When I left, I walked back towards the car, and this time the winds whipping off the lake were blowing in my face. I got in my car and went to the store, and when I came out of the store, the wind was still whooshing by, PLUS, some obnoxious pellet-type snowfall started blowing in my face. Ack, Ack, Aaaaaack. I'm sorry, but today was just frickin' obnoxious out there. Aaaaaaack. Makes me wish for days like this...

Here's a picture of CDA Lake taken back in the '50s, and I THINK this picture looks northwest at the area between the west end of City Park and the beginnings of the Dike Road. (not sure, but I think I see the Sea Wall there) This is another one of those photos taken by the old Leo's Studio in Spokane. Even in black and white, that shimmering water looks really great, and if I could, RIGHT NOW, I'd jump in the "Wayback Machine", teleport myself back to 1950, and sit by the lake.

Mmmmm-good, mmmm-good dept.: There was an article in the paper today about how Campbell's Soup is coming out with a new "Healthy" line of soups which contain less sodium. Seems you can't put the word "healthy" on the label unless a serving of your company's soup registers 480mg or less of sodium. Campbell's is evidently gonna use sea salt for this allegedly "healthy" line, which is purported to contain 40% less sodium. That sounds like a good move to me. Now, if the people who manufacture "V-8" juice would do the same thing. "V-8" doesn't use the word "healthy" on its labels, but the "V-8" advertisements tout the stuff as being good for you, containing all sorts of vitamins and minerals that you need.

What they DON'T tell you is that "V-8" contains 600mg or MORE in a glassful. I wonder how that company sleeps at night. You drink a glass of that stuff, thinking you're preserving your health, not knowing that you're contributing to your own hardening of the arteries. Any tomato-based product is gonna have tons of sodium in it. Spaghetti-O's, Chili, Beanie-Weenie, you name it. It's amazing, to go up and down the aisles of a grocery store and check out how much of the stuff on the shelves is just BAAAAAD for you. I once asked a clerk why there's so much sodium in everything. "To increase the shelf life", he told me. Oh.

Taking aim at an elusive target dept.: I read where the "Coeur d'Alene Bowmen" archery club, which has been located in the basement of the Credit Bureau Bldg. on 4th Street, for AGES, is having to move somewhere else. I wish them luck. Back in high school, I was a "bowman", and all of us bowmen would go to the "archery club" (the "Bowmen" building) and shoot competitive archery. If you've ever been in a bowling league, competitive archery is like that; you shoot a round, you tally your score, and the team with the most points wins...we would alternate with different "rounds" each week. One round consisted of you shooting 5 arrows from 60 feet, and you did that 12 times. The other type of round consisted of shooting from various distances...50 feet, 20 feet, 45 feet, 60 feet, and so on; you really had to be on your toes for that one. I had a target bow; I shot aluminum arrows; I was really into it back then.

Another holiday that doesn't mean 'squat' to me dept.: The powers that be are trying to get a "St. Patrick's Day" parade going here in the City by the Lake. Yawnnnnn....I kinda think that any holiday where you get pinched and wind up in excruciating pain for not wearing GREEN ain't much of a holiday. Bah humbug several times! Honestly, "St. Patrick's Day" has never felt like a holiday to me! And the federal government agrees with me on this; after all, I still get MAIL delivered on March 17th!

This proves you can find ANYTHING on Ebay dept.: And I do mean EVERYTHING. A patch of gauze used by Gonzaga basketballer Adam Morrison, which was used to plug up a bloody nose, is now for sale on EBAY. The seller is advertising it as "used". Hmmmm....the next time I accidentally slice myself open, I'll be sure to have some gauze around the house. After all, I am a blogger of "some" note in my immediate area, so I must ask: "How much will you pay...for my D-N-A???"

____________________

Well, that's it for the time being. Not my most creative post, but I got it done early. I was so out of it yesterday, that I didn't even start the previous posting until after midnight TODAY. Hey, I may be erratic, but at least I'm consistently erratic; in other words, "you can count on not being able to count on me."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jinx said...

It would be nice to buy a premade soup that didn't taste like the company dumped a bag of salt in each can.
With our March weather who'd want to go down and watch a bunch of people wearing green marching down the street? BRRR
To tell the truth I haven't been down to watch a parade in a couple of years. Since they outlawed the throwing of candy what fun is it? LOL
Have a nice day tomorrow.
after all it is national Obnoxious day.
(I look for weird and fun holidays)

10:33 PM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

They OUTLAWED CANDY-TOSSING at parades? Just another chickenshit rule by our gracious powers-that-be here in CDA. I can't believe that! And I think I'll do just fine on "Nat'l Obnoxious Day"; after all, I get plenty of practice!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home