Thursday, October 20, 2005

A "TERMINAL" Situation!!!
(as in "Bank Terminal", that is)

Blogger's note: This blogsite is NOT a traditional "current news" site. However, since I have the TV on in the background much of the time, if I learn of something that could affect you all (and me), I'll go ahead and post it. Beware of the "newest" form of electronic scam...details following...

I was watching Northwest Cable News Network last night, when I heard of a scam involving an ATM machine...and it happened at a U.S. Bank branch in Washington. I bank at U.S. Bank, so my ears perked up right away!

It seems that cyber-thieves can actually install official-looking equipment on an ATM Machine's card slot, which reads your account information and stores it for those thieves, who then retrieve the apparatus and invade your bank account. Of course, your card is returned to you like nothing happened. But, obviously, something did happen.

One guy said he thought "something looked fishy about the ATM card slot" and he actually reached out and jiggled the machine, and the card-thieving apparatus actually fell off the ATM machine. A picture of another ATM machine was taken, and where you slide the card in, there was a "white plastic lining" going around the slot opening.

So now, whenever you use an ATM machine, look closely at the front, to see if there's anything weird-looking about the machine you're using. So now the "caveat emptor" phrase (buyer beware) applies to ATM machines!

I went to a website to get a picture of an ATM, and the website said pretty much the same thing I typed above. In addition, this website said that a small camera can be stuck to the pamphlet holder on the ATM (see picture) which photographs you as you punch in your "pin" number!

I love ATM's; I use 'em all the time. They sure make things easy. You don't have to fumble around with clumsy travelers' checks when yer on vacation, and you don't have to stand in line at the bank to get money. But...the ATM's can, I 'spose, make it easier for you to get shafted!

Okay, so much for ultra-current events; I've got a new multi-part post immediately below this one. Be careful out there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home