Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Remembering her...

She would have been 80 today. She's been in heaven since March of 2001. She's my Mom. I thought of her while sitting by the lake today. She also used to like to sit near the sea wall by City Beach.

The thought comes to mind occasionally, that when she passed away, I lost the only person on earth who would ever completely understand me. That thought saddens me greatly. She was a gentle spirit. Perhaps the best parts of her can come through me when I deal with others.

She played baritone ukelele and ministered to shut-ins and others through her music. She also played keyboards. I had a chance to "jam" with her several times; she'd play organ and I'd pick up her uke. I wish we could have done that more often.

One of her favorite spirituals contained the following lyrics:

"This world is not my home; I'm just a-passin' through
If heaven is not my home, then Lord, what will I do?
The angels beckon me from Heaven's opened door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

We had times of discontent in our family. Mom was always trying to encourage us all to get along. Now that she's gone, I think perhaps I understand what she thought as she sang those words.

Mom...I miss you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Word Tosser said...

Your mom was beautiful.... she would have made a beautiful 80 too.
I know this is a sad day for you, but as I look at your mom's picture, I think how lucky we all are, because she left you behind for us to enjoy you. There is a lot of good in you that she is enjoying as she watches over you from above.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home