Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A POSITIVE SPIN!
Or, "dropkick me, puh-leeze!"

I've been reading all about the Seattle Seahawks' convincing win over Houston in last weekend's game. What was it, 42-10? The coach is saying that the team really brought it all together, and that all of the elements worked in perfect harmony during that game. Well, maybe, but I wonder, "much ado about nothing?" You see, Houston was WINLESS, and still IS. The Seahawks were SUPPOSED to win. Coach Holmgren, after the Seahawks beat several of the strongest teams in the NFL several weeks in a row, THEN, I might be convinced that the 'Hawks might 'almost' be worthy of respect.
____________________

In CDA, I see where the old "Henry's" restaurant at 10th and Sherman Avenue is being torn down. Anyone wanna bet on how many stories HIGH the replacement building will be? Well, it does seem that downtown developers are adopting a trend of exploring the upper reaches of the atmosphere with their structures. So you gotta assume a skyscraper will be built there, right?
____________________

I understand that beginning November 28th, "Nightline" will adopt a 3-anchor, multi-topic format. Longtime host Ted Koppel will no longer be part of the picture after November 22nd. The times they are a-changin'. Thing is, one of the new anchors, Terry Moran, looks like someone who might work at a fast-food restaurant; all preppie, yuppy and mock-sincere. Am I gonna believe him when he relates news of importance?
____________________

This particular post is being brought to you by a half-eaten box of Nabisco (TM) "Nilla" wafers. MMMMM. I hadn't had vanilla wafers in a long time. Oops, I'm thirsty...let's see, that bottle of Dr. Pepper's gotta be around here somewhere...hope it doesn't blow UP on me when I try to open it. (Dr. Pepper is about as volatile as nitroglycerin!) BOOM!
____________________

I have never seen the TV show, "Desperate Housewives". I'm kinda thinking, in Coeur d'Alene, there's probably no such thing. I can relate something I actually SAW today, though. Up above Locust Avenue on North 4th, is a little "Pot Pie" place. (no, not THAAT kind of pot! Sheesh!) And guess what they feature on their readerboard: "Desperate House Pies!" Maybe I'll try one. Hope they don't give me desperate indigestion. One advantage to flirting with a desperate house pie: You have no guilt, except if you're trying to watch your weight!
____________________

Well, it's gonna be the Chicago White Sox and the Houston Astros in the World Series. Both teams have great pitching; they'll probably end up shutting each other down. Houston has Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite, two really good pitchers. The Chisox have an effective pitching staff, too. I'd like to see the White Sox win; it would be their first World Series Victory since 1917, I believe. But this series could go either way. Both teams are strong in offense AND defense. In close, tension-filled games, usually a stupid mistake somewhere determines the outcome. This oughta be a great series.
____________________

People are wondering where I got my little "blog hit counter"; I got it at www.bravenet.com. You have to open an account, but some of their stuff is free. That's where I got all the little gizmo's you see off to the left, including the "Word Match-up" thing; I've had several readers comment to me that they're having fun with it. See, that's my strategy: my inferior posts will seem to "suck less" if I have interesting little games on this site to keep readers entertained. It's all part of my master plan to achieve world domination. (I'm sure that'll take a while, though.)
____________________

Since you've really concentrated on reading all of this really THIN "Thin Air" posting, I thot I'd reward you with a cute little visual element here. It's the kind of item a tourist can buy and take back home to the east coast, or southern California, or wherever. But, if you've LIVED here for a while, Idaho probably HAS "mashed" you pretty good several times. "Mashed how?", you ask...well, let's just start with PROPERTY TAXES and go from there!
____________________

In closing: That little mug picture reminded me of something; a sweet memory of my late Mother. She would always ask me, when I was a kid, "would you get me half a cup of coffee?" She'd had rheumatic fever when she was a kid; she had an enlarged heart and sometimes she was short of breath. So, I'd "save her steps", and I was glad to do it. Anyway, she would always ask me to get her "half a cup of coffee". I was shopping for a birthday present for her, and I saw, at the old Modern Drug Gift Center, one of those little ceramic cups that has one round edge and one flat edge...and written on the side was "You Asked For Half A Cup Of Coffee!" She got the biggest kick out of that. And you know what? I'm glad I remembered that.

2 Comments:

Blogger JBelle said...

It's the little things, that somehow you remember, and then they really matter, don't they. I loved hearing how you pleased your mother--I can just imagine how delighted she was with that cup! Have a great day tomorrow and always remember what that half cup of coffee, presented with eagerness and love, can end up meaning for a lifetime.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Lil ol' me... said...

I miss her. Sometimes I think that I lost the only person who really ever understood me. And then I kinda freak out. It's a lonely world. But I have some good memories. I'll have a half cup of coffee in her honor today.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home